17 Advocates for the Global Goals
On the 9th May United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres appointed the new class of SDG advocates.
These 17 influential public figures are committed to raising awareness, inspiring greater ambition, and pushing for faster action on the SDGs, or Global Goals, which were adopted by world leaders on 25 September 2015.
The Secretary-General has tasked the Advocates with driving action, building ambition around the Goals, and solidifying global political will. The Advocates will use their unique platforms and leadership to inspire cross-cutting mobilization of the global community.
The Advocates represent the universal character of the SDGs, hailing from Governments, entertainment, academia, sport, business and activist organizations around the world. The Advocates will leverage and build bridges between their unique audiences, and work together to drive progress. They are:
The Secretary-General’s SDG Advocates are:
- His Excellency Mr. Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, President of Ghana (Republic of Ghana)
- Her Excellency Ms. Erna Solberg, Prime Minister of Norway (Kingdom of Norway)
- Her Majesty Queen Mathilde of the Belgians (Kingdom of Belgium)
- His Royal Highness Muhammadu Sanusi II, Emir of Kano (Federal Republic of Nigeria)
- Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, Founder, Education Above All Foundation (State of Qatar)
- Richard Curtis, Screenwriter, Producer and Film Director (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
- Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim, Activist, Environment and Indigenous Rights (Republic of Chad)
- Jack Ma, Founder and Executive Chairman, Alibaba Group (People’s Republic of China)
- Her Excellency Graça Machel, Founder, Graça Machel Trust (Republic of Mozambique)
- Dia Mirza, Actress and Film Producer, UN Environment Program Goodwill Ambassador for India (Republic of India)
- Dr. Alaa Murabit, Founder, The Voice of Libyan Women (Canada)
- Nadia Murad, Nobel Laureate, Chair and President, Nadia’s Initiative, UN Office on Drugs and Crime Goodwill Ambassador (Republic of Iraq)
- Edward Ndopu, Founder, Global Strategies on Inclusive Education (Republic of South Africa)
- Paul Polman, Chair, International Chamber of Commerce, Vice-Chair of the Board of United Nations Global Compact (Kingdom of the Netherlands)
- Jeffrey Sachs, Director, Center for Sustainable Development, Columbia University (United States of America)
- Marta Vieira da Silva, Footballer, Orlando Pride, UN Women Goodwill Ambassador (Federative Republic of Brazil)
- Forest Whitaker, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Whitaker Peace & Development Initiative, UNESCO Special Envoy for Peace and Reconciliation (United States of America)
To learn more about these 17 amazing people, visit www.unsdgadvocates.org.